This option enables a gift wrap product, and customers can choose to gift wrap on a per-product basis from the product page.
The gift wrap product is automatically added to the cart with the product if the Gift wrap this product box is checked.
Within the cart itself, the quantity of the gift wrap matches the quantity of product chosen - gift wrap quantity will be automatically updated/removed in the cart drawer when changing product quantity.
Step 1: Set Up the Product
- From your Shopify admin, go to Products > All products.
- Click Add product.
- Create a gift wrap product just as you would create any other product.
🌟 Tip: You can use your product description to explain what materials will be used to gift-wrap the items, in addition to adding an image to show your customers what a gift-wrapped order will look like. Read our article about adding Product media.
Once done, give your gift-wrap product the price that you want to charge for the service - if you want gift wrapping to be free, then set the price of your gift-wrap product to be $0.
Warning: Please ensure that your gift-wrapped product includes inventory, or else adjust the settings so that Shopify doesn't track inventory for the gift-wrap product.
If your store has multiple locations, then uncheck Track quantity to prevent Shopify from tracking inventory for the gift-wrap product.
Step 2: Enable Gift Wrapping Within Theme Settings
- In the theme editor, go to Theme settings > Products.
- Under Gift wrapping, click Select product.
- Select the product you created in step one under the Gift wrap product field.
- Customize the checkbox label text, if preferred.
- When that box is checked, and the product is added to the cart by the customer, the gift wrap product is added to the cart automatically:
This works with each of the three different cart actions: Cart drawer, Show 'Added' message and Cart page.
Step 3: Add Gift Wrapping to the Product Section
- In the theme editor, go to a product template you want to use (e.g. Default product).
- Under Product, click Add block.
- Select Giftwrap.
- Move the Giftwrap block to a desired position.
Step 4: Enable Gift Wrapping Within Cart Settings
The merchant can decide whether to offer a gift note text area in the cart:
This works in the same way as the existing cart notes, and will come through in an order under the Additional details panel:
The gift wrap product will trigger any automatic product discounts based on product numbers, as another gift wrap product is added to the cart.
For example, if a discount like '$10 off when you buy 10 products' with no specific products chosen is set, the gift wrap product would count towards that 10.
This option works best when the Cart is set to the Cart Drawer mode.
The automatic quantity changing seen in the cart drawer won't operate the same on the Cart Page (which is used when the Add to cart action is set to Show 'added' message or Go to cart).
The 'Gift wrap: yes' text in the cart can't be reliably removed when the gift wrap product itself is removed or quantity changed - we disabled the 'quantity +/- ' buttons for the gift wrap product, to prevent any misuse.