By default, the theme doesn't add H1 tags to the Home page, as it isn't a content page. To add these tags manually, follow the steps below:
- Within your Shopify admin, click Online store > Preferences.
- Go to the Title and meta description heading and then navigate to the Homepage title field.
If you fill in the fields, the site title becomes your H1. While it is possible to alter this, we don't recommend it. There is instead a great opportunity to add a Custom Liquid section to the Home page and include your own H1 tag that targets the keywords you wish to focus on.
In addition, you can add a brief explanation of what your store does on the Home page (meaning people who land on the page know exactly where they are).
Adding an H1 tag
The best way to directly add an H1 tag to the Home page template is to use the Custom Liquid section.
- Within your Shopify admin section, click Online Store > Themes > Current theme > Customize.
- On the left-hand menu, scroll down and then click Add section.
- Select Custom liquid.
- Go to the panel on the right and add the code and text shown below between the two <h1> tags.
- Click Save.
<h1>Your own custom h1, including any important keywords</h1>